CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Flood times!!!

Friday morning at about 3:30 am, me and Darin were woke up by the sound of a waterfall coming through our bedroom/basement window. When we pulled up our blinds, we noticed that the entire window well, which is deep, was completly filled with water and was coming straight into our room at full speed. No way to stop it and no way to catch it with anything, it was coming in way too fast. We hurried outside to see what was going on, it had been raining, but there was no way all that water was from the rain. We saw that a pipe had obviously busted and was gushing water everywhere and the only place there was for the water to go was first in our Window well and then to the front of the Apt's. I went and pounded on the Managers door and luckily we were able to call the city and get the water shut off with in about 10 minutes. But in the meantime, we got about 8 inches or so of water in our basement. I'm bad at keeping my room clean and I really paid for it, everything on the floor is pretty much trash, the poor snake was right under the window and by the time we got him out we thought he was dead, from being frozen. Luckily after 4 or 5 hours on the heater, he started to move a little, but his stupid cage is definatly toast, so that was the only thing we were in a hurry to replace was a cage and heat for the snake. Everything else just sat how it was until 7 the next morning when Utah Kleenup Disaster came to start on the clean up. They had to rip up all the carpet, padding, baseboards and place about 15 utility fans down there to air it all out. So that' s where we're at right now. The fans have been going non stop since Friday afternoon, our heater still isn't working, thank goodness we were able to get our hands on a couple space heaters. So hopefully tomorrow everything will be dry enough to get rid of those obnoxiously loud, and cold fans and start on the next project which will probably be ripping down part of our wall and replacing the drywall. All in all we'll probably be without our bedroom for about 3 weeks. It definatly could have been alot worse, but it sure opens your eyes to the everyday conviences that we take for granted. Heat, hot water, our own bed, washer and dryer...etc. So tune in for more details as the basement gets put back together. One thing I am very thankful for, is that I RENT this Townhome so I don't have to do any of the clean up or pay for any of the damages. Just an Inconvience mostly. I didn't get very many pictures cuz my camera kept dying, and the one's I did get, don't even do justice to what it was really like. I am going to try to upload the video I got, but that'll take time. I know I am making this a bigger deal then what you guys think I should, but this is alot of drama happenin at our house and at the time, really freaked me out. So Ya, I am probably making a bigger deal out of it then it's worth, but I can do what I want to do because this is my Blog.... So there!!

These were after the water went down. It damaged the next 2 more townhouses down from me. Yes, that was Darin's 400.00 phone ON THE GROUND. Thank goodness we had it insured. This was our attempt to catch the water, ya that didn't work. It only took about 30 seconds to fill up those huge tote's.

3 comments:

The Not-a-hoes said...

holy cow! your basement floods more than any one elses i know! our only flood in ours was caused by our shower...its a good thing we came on thrs instead of friday! good luck with the cleaning, i bet it smells really bad too

Cindi said...

YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!! Those pictures look crazy, awful! I can't believe how much water there was! That sucks! Good thing you're renting! It's nice you don't have to pay for all the damage... I guess that's what insurance is for, though. :D

Tiana Johnson said...

I understand your feelings on naming your baby what you and Darin like, but I have a flip-side to that coin. Your kid is only with you for 18 or so years being called it's name constantly by you guys, but it has to live with that name for a lifetime, and if it's a name that the "majority" of people are turned off by, what do you think people's reactions to meeting him will be all his life? That's why even though we LOVE Bronco, we couldn't name our boy that since it got so many negative votes. It had a lot of positive votes, but too many negative ones to make me feel comfortable subjecting him to a lifetime of ridicule and people thinking "what was up with his parents? why in the world would they want to torture him with a name like that?" I'm thinking of his lifetime and what the majority of people's reactions to his name will be, not whether or not Hy and I like the name.

As for Rocky...I'm not a fan as you know many people aren't, but I do like Rock. I think that Rocky paired with Jolley is too many "y's" (which is the same reason I think Paisley Lilly sounds weird). Rocky is such a popular movie and character that you can't help but immediately envision an ugly, bruised man with a retarded voice screaming "Adrian!!" when you say Rocky. Rock Hudson on the other hand, was a masculine, devilishly handsome ladies man (though in real life he was gay and died of AIDS). He played with Doris Day all the time. He was great in movies.

Do what you want, but just realize that if only you and a couple of people like Rocky, that will be the reaction of strangers to his name the rest of his life and he may have to end up defending himself a lot against teasing. Who knows though. Do you mind if people call him Rock for short? I think that's really cute. I think Stone (like Stone Phillips) is cute too, but I'm afraid of the teasing potential with stoner.

I thought you had settled on Hyrum as the middle name. If not, I'm keeping it as an option for if my baby comes out a boy. I just don't want to use it if someone else is using it (I have a thing against repeat names within a family, even though your family is fine with doubling up on names, like Renee...which is cool for all of you, but not me). Let me know if you're ditching Hyrum as the middle name.